There are a lot of programs available for adding tags to files and emails, reviewed here. They all have individual strengths and weaknesses. Why should you choose SetTags?
- Files, folders, Outlook emails, contacts and URLs can be tagged. Using Workgroup mode, multiple users can apply and share tags applied to files accessed via a Web browser.
- Descriptions can be added to any tagged items
- Simple interface and easily accessible help and support.
- Tagged files and folders can be located even if they have been renamed or moved using the powerful properties of Windows shortcuts, which can find a target file even if it has been moved or renamed. Other tagging programs which store paths in a database may either fail to locate a moved or renamed tagged file or require a continuously running component to track renames and movements.
- Export of tagged files and folders. Because tags ere embedded in file and folder names, they can be easily exported to users who do not have SetTags installed. These users can then use native search facilities on phone, tablet or non-Windows machine to locate items containing a particular tag.
- Export of tag lists. Creating a tag list is a lot of work – if you want to use the list for any other purpose, you can copy it to the Clipboard.
- Preview facility, allowing tags to be defined on the basis of a preview, rather than having to open the file with its parent application.
- Auto-tagging, allowing tags to be defined on the basis of text appearing in the file or folder name, or in the text content of the item to be tagged.
- Fully compatible with a cloud storage environment, where a local filesystem is synchronized with data stored in the cloud.
- Centralized control of available tags for multiple users, making it suitable for use within organizations requiring this feature. No more singular/plural versions of the same tag!